Many research outputs are being released for reuse under Creative Commons licences. Learn more about Open Research.

If you have received grant money from ARC or NHMRC, then it is worth checking your grant agreement, there is likely to be clauses in the agreement outlining requirements to release some or all of your research outputs in an open manner.

Also in 2016 Australian universities all agreed to introduce the F.A.I.R. principles to research data, but now increasingly to all research outputs.

To read the history behind the F.A.I.R. principles please see Development and implementation of the F.A.I.R. Policy Statement

The best way to ensure that research outputs meet the F.A.I.R. principles is by applying a CC-BY licence .

Researchers at universities can contact their library or copyright units to access the support available.

General information and support are available through Open Access Australasia

Using Creative Commons licensed works in your research.
There are advantages of using creative commons works in your research outputs. From knowing what you can do with the work through to saving time at publishing by possibly not needing permission. You can find how to search for and cite CC licensed works at the Use & Remix page

Releasing your own work creative commons
Much of the discussion around research has focussed on green, gold and hybrid open access. Choosing a creative common licence for your published work has a variety of advantages.

  • meeting the F.A.I.R. principles
  • CC licensed works are downloaded more often than non-open access works
  • CC licensed books also have more citations, downloads and usage than non open access books.

See The state of OA: a large-scale analysis of the prevalence and impact of Open Access articles

There is so much information and possibly grant money available to researchers regarding publishing your work openly, that it is best to contact your institutions Library or Copyright units for current information.